Lenovo 9.5mm SATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter IV for ThinkPad Laptops (0B47315)
Please note: BLINQ sells products in multiple conditions (new, open box, refurbished, etc). Not all reviews are reflective of the condition that you may purchase.
Lenovo 9.5mm SATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter IV for ThinkPad Laptops (0B47315) is rated out of 5 by 4.
Rated 1 out of 5 by Anonymous from Doesn't Secure Drive - Waste of Money When you put a HDD drive into the tray, there is no way to screw or secure the drive. It will fit snugly into the SATA connector, but then it just flops around in the tray. This is especially pronounced when you pick the laptop up and put it into a bag. This is horrifying considering how expensive high end SSD and platter drives are. Lenovo used to make laptops for traveling professionals. Now they just make cheap Apple knock-offs, and this drive bay is a perfect example - the engineers completely forgot to include holes to screw the drive into the bay. For shame.
Date published: 2014-07-04
Rated 1 out of 5 by Anonymous from Real cost - too much time As other reviewers have said, the drives do not fit in this adapter by default. It requires the custom kit that is used to mount the original drive for the drives to be snug in this housing. It does not work with off-the-shelf 2.5" drives without this adapter. A It also doesn't work with the easy-to-find rubber drive rails. They gave me a part number that would be $28 +$10 to $13.50 shipping for this piece of plastic. Worse yet, they couldn't guarantee it would be correct and would charge me a 10% restocking fee. There are drive adapters available on ebay and Amazon for half the cost that actually have the screw mounting holes in them, so you know they don't need the adapter. The part they gave me in case it is helpful is 04x5421
Date published: 2014-07-08
Rated 2 out of 5 by Anonymous from Don't move the machine I bought this for a W540. My previous ThinkPads all had hot swappable UltraBays this one doesn't; you have to shut down and take off covers screws, etc. I installed it with a Seagate SSD and all was well until I moved the computer. The drive disconnected from the SATA connections which were the only thing holding the drive in the ultra bay adapter. I thought maybe the drive was smaller as I then noted space on the 3 sides that were not connected. I tried a Seagate Momentous and a Hitachi drive and they all disconnected when the laptop was moved around and bounced around in the car; all had the same space. I wrote and was told to call Lenovo. I did and was bounced around from sales to parts to tech support between Lenovo and IBM until I was finally disconnected. I gave up and glued the drive into the ultra bay adapter.
Date published: 2014-07-03
Rated 3 out of 5 by Anonymous from made it work I was able to make it work. Even though Lenovo cannot find the part numbers or help you order the mounting bracket that works in the internal drive bay, you can make do without. To keep the drive from shifting left/right, screw in two mounting screws on the sides. Then use a hacksaw to cut a plastic, single-gang electrical box to an appropriate height (including rounded corner curve) to place at the end to keep the drive from coming unplugged from the SATA socket. You'll need to sculpt the top of the piece of plastic so it is shaped just like the internal mounting bracket. Be sure to include the rounded corner so the plastic doesn't just fall over. For best fit and least bouncing, a rubber bumper (like for a cabinet door) or another strip of electrical box on top of a 7mm drive will fill out the vertical space nicely. (or maybe your 7mm drive comes with a thickness adapter to pad it to 9.5mm)
Date published: 2014-11-14
- Adapter enables serial ATA hard drive expansion in a ThinkPad with a native 9.5 serial media bay
- With a second hard drive, you can quickly store and back up critical data
- Delivers maximum storage flexibility
- Increase the productivity of ThinkPad laptop system
- Increase the productivity of your ThinkPad laptop system with the ThinkPad 9.5mm SATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter IV. This adapter enables serial ATA hard drive expansion in a ThinkPad with a native 9.5 serial media bay. With a second hard drive, you can quickly store and back up critical data.ThinkPad 9.5mm SATA Hard Drive Bay Adapter IV delivers maximum storage flexibility
- Compatible with: ThinkPad T Series - T540p Dual-Core , T540p Quad-Core , T440p Dual Core ,T440p Quad Core, W Series - W540
- Device Type: Storage bay adapter
- Compatible Bays: 1
- Expansion Bays: 1 x internal
- Form Factor: Internal
- Drive Interface: Serial ATA
- Laptops Hard Drive Adapter
May We Also Suggest
How BLINQ Works
- Retailer needs to move overstock, open box & refurbished inventory.
- BLINQ receives inventory and professionally inspects each item.
- Condition is determined, with only the best items passing inspection.
- Item is heavily discounted on BLINQ.com to sell quickly.