Sony Wireless Radio Frequency Headphone System - Black (MDR-RF985RK)
Please note: BLINQ sells products in multiple conditions (new, open box, refurbished, etc). Not all reviews are reflective of the condition that you may purchase.
Sony Wireless Stereo Headphone System - Black is rated out of 5 by 45.
Rated 3 out of 5 by Fredericko916 from MDRRF985RK successful; MDR-IF240R MDRIF245R static 1. Sony Headphone MDF-IF 240R purchased 10/30/2012 worked well for elderly impaired priest for two years; then became inoperative with static. 2. Sony Headphone MDR-IF245R purchased 3/1/2014 was inoperative with static. Numerous calls to Sony tech support yielded disappointing advice with no solutions. 3. Sony Headphone MDR-RF985RK purchased 7/21/2014 works successfully after choosing Channel 2 on transmitter. Purchased as gift to elderly, hearing impaired priest now relating many thanks as he can hear his Sony TV without turning the volume full blast. Purchasing three Sony headphones, two with static, did create stress and extra expenses.
Date published: 2014-08-16
Rated 5 out of 5 by HuggybearsHoney from Still the Best We have had Sony cordless headset for well over 15 yrs. They no longer make the model to recharge But mine still works. I needed new muffs for my old set. They came and now my old set is on my new TV in the bedroom. The brand new headphone w/charger MDR-RF985RK are better. Their light weight, the sound is great, very clear and precise. The transmitter is definitely 150 with no problems and long as no metal beams or other metal structures in the way. My husband has that connect to our 53in. high def. T.V. and we both love it. Hope these will last as long as our other Model MDR-IF3000. These have definitely taken a licken and their still ticking!!!. That's why we came back to Sony, plus the price was great.
Date published: 2013-10-04
Rated 4 out of 5 by DiscerningTV from Quality Product After over ten years of use with a prior model, I purchased these as a replacement since the ear cushions had deteriorated and the sound started to cut out. Having had these for only 6 months, I am very pleased with my purchase so far. The sound quality is great, as is the reception and fit. However they are huge and seem bigger than necessary, but I wanted over the ear and that is what you get. They are comfortable and are easy to set up and recharge. It took all of two minutes since I simply had to unplug my old ones and plug the new ones in. While its still early, my only complaint is the price on this site. I did not purchase mine from Sony directly, but off Amazon for less than half price. So while I might be more critical at twice the price, I would easily buy another set at the price I paid in a heartbeat. They simply do the job I purchased them for and they do it well!
Date published: 2013-12-29
Rated 1 out of 5 by laingalion from Harsh Ticking and Spams of Static In almost every song I play there is this extremely harsh ticking. As the tempo increases, the ticking also becomes more frequent. I'm 100% this is not part of the audio file. It sounds almost like the speakers are shorting, its that harsh and much loader than the rest of the audio. I can physically feel a tremble when the tick happens. And every once in awhile, though no often, there is a harsh spam of static that last for about half a second. The ticks and spams of static happen at precise moments in the songs, they happen every time without fail. This is by far the worst audio experience I had with headphones. Btw, this headphones don't block out any outside noise. I can hear myself typing and clicking the mouse.
Date published: 2012-10-24
Rated 3 out of 5 by Momtakesaction from Don't perform the job I needed They would be perfect for me EXCEPT, I was told by the the sales agent that they would allow me to watch TV at my level (i have impaired hearing) and others in the room would be able to hear the TV through it's own volume control. I had a set of Rocketfish earphones the did this and worked great except they wouldn't adjust to fit my head and were always falling off. I guess since I haven't been able to make these work the the way the Rocketfish earphones worked, I'll take the Sonys to our country house and go back the the Rocketfish earphones and tie those to my head so they don't fall off.
Date published: 2013-07-07
Rated 5 out of 5 by Dalio from Finest Wireless Headphones These headphones surpass all other manufacturers products in the same price range. You can actually feel the surround sound experience. I have tried two other manufacturers products and they don't even compare. But I have to be honest I Iive in an Apartment with one neighbor next door and right know its vacant and has been for 5 months. So I use my New Bose Solo TV Speaker system. But when I get a new neighbor These headphones sound the same as my BOSE>
Date published: 2012-10-21
Rated 3 out of 5 by BillVO from Dropouts The sound quality and comfort are great. I wear hearing aids, and they fit over my ears without my having to remove the aids. There's plenty of volume. However, there is a problem with RF dropouts every so often. Might be several in 10 seconds time or it might be once in a minute or so. Tried changing the transmit frequency to no avail. Transmitter is within spitting distance of the phones. I'm returning mine to try another unit (maybe it's just this one), and if that doesn't work, I'll look for another model.
Date published: 2014-09-16
Rated 1 out of 5 by chewyrite from Horrible! I bought thses because I have always gotten quality things from Sony. There is a constantly a hiss and static, wether 5 feet or 50 from from the base. Tried to use to use my guitar set up, and there is a constant distortion on the signal. When moving around the signal fades and crackles in and out. I have had no better results on any channel, or no matter what levels I am using with anything. I am 100% not satisfied and feel I gave them a completely fair trial. Too bad they didnt work better, they are supre comfortable.
Date published: 2013-08-03
- Wireless Range up to 150'
- Built-In Rechargeable Battery
- Up to 25 Hours of Battery Life
- Transmits Over RF Signal
- 40mm Drivers
- Headphones Recharge on Transmitter Base
- Adjustable Headband
- The Sony MDR-RF985RK Wireless Radio Frequency Headphone System is designed to transmit analog audio sources wirelessly to its headphones with a range of operation of up to 150-feet. The headphones feature a built-in rechargeable battery that can provide playback for up to 25-hours per charge. They are charged by connecting to the transmitter base station, and produce a full charge in 3.5 hours. The headphones also feature 40mm drivers and an adjustable headband designed to provide comfort for long listening sessions. The system's transmitter features a stereo pair of RCA inputs and a single 1/8" stereo mini-jack input. It broadcasts on an analog 900 MHz radio frequency and has three selectable channels.
- Type: Closed, Dynamic
- Drivers: 1.5" (40 mm )
- Magnet: Ferrite
- Diaphragm: PET
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 22 kHz
- Radio Frequency: Wireless Analog 900 MHz
- Transmitter: Channel 1: 915.5 MHz (selective, FM Stereo) ; Channel 2: 916.0 MHz (selective, FM Stereo) ; Channel 3: 916.5 MHz (selective, FM Stereo)
- Tuning: Manual tuning via switch on both base and headphones
- Volume Control: Rotary
- Modes: Mute: Operates when RF signal is weak or not received
- Inputs: Transmitter: 2x Analog RCA Phono; 1x 1/8" (3.5 mm) Stereo Mini-Jack
- Battery: Battery Type: Rechargeable Lithium-Ion ; Battery Charging: 3.5 Hours (Approximate); Battery Life: 25 Hours (Approximate)
- Power Supply: Transmitter: 12 V, 200 mA AC Adapter
- Power Requirements: DC 12 V
- Output Power: 5 mW + 5 mW
- Cable Length: 3.2' (1 m) (Approximate)
- Dimensions: Transmitter: 8.5 x 4.1 x 3.7" (21.6 x 10.5 x 9.6 cm) (Approximate)
- Weight: Headphones: 10.59 oz (300.00 g) (Approximate); Transmitter: 7.7 oz (220 g) (Approximate)
May We Also Suggest
How BLINQ Works
- Retailer needs to move overstock, open box & refurbished inventory.
- BLINQ receives inventory and professionally inspects each item.
- Condition is determined, with only the best items passing inspection.
- Item is heavily discounted on BLINQ.com to sell quickly.