Niagara Cutter N57487 Carbide Square Nose End Mill
Please note: BLINQ sells products in multiple conditions (new, open box, refurbished, etc). Not all reviews are reflective of the condition that you may purchase.
- Helix Angle
- 40 Helix
- Cutting Diameter
- Shank Diameter
- Overall Length
- The combination of Stabilizer flute geometry, carbide substrate, and TiAlN coating make this end mill suitable for use on high-temperature alloys
- Stabilizer flute design uses unequal spacing and variable helix angles to minimize tool vibration and remove up to three times more chips per minute than conventional carbide end mills
- Titanium aluminum nitride (TiAlN) coating lubricates the end mill for high-temperature stability and abrasion resistance at high cutting speeds, offering better heat resistance than TiN and TiCN coatings
- Four flutes produce a better finish than fewer flutes
- Corner radius end mills have cutting edges with rounded corners to reduce chipping and provide longer tool life
The Niagara Cutter STR440 Stabilizer TiAlN-coated carbide corner radius end mill with four flutes features the patented Stabilizer flute design, which combines variable helix angles and unevenly spaced flutes of differing lengths to allow deeper cuts at higher speeds on high-temperature alloys. The helix angle varies from tooth to tooth to reduce tool vibration and provide efficient chip removal. The unequal length and spacing of the flutes creates an out-of-phase cutting action that further reduces tool vibration and extends tool life. The TiAlN coating resists heat better than TiN and TiCN coatings, increasing tool life and performance. It also offers increased hardness compared to TiN and may reduce the need for lubricants based on the application. The carbide substrate is harder than high-speed or cobalt steel, making it more wear resistant at high speeds and hot temperatures, providing longer tool life. The Stabilizer flute geometry, carbide substrate, and TiAlN coating make the STR440 suitable for machining the high temperature alloys used in the commercial aircraft, aerospace, and defense industries.
The four-flute design is well suited for fine finishing. Corner radius end mills have a square end with rounded corners on the cutting edges to reduce chipping and extend the life of the tool. The center-cutting design has cutting teeth at the end of the tool, so it can be fed into the workpiece like a drill bit. The tool has an eccentric primary relief feature that provides better support behind the cutting edge than a flat relief, reducing tooth breakage in deep cuts. Cutting diameter tolerance is +0.000" to -0.002". The STR440 comes with a round shank for shank diameters smaller than 3/8 and a Weldon shank on shank diameters of 3/8 or larger.
End mills are designed to remove material and create multi-dimensional shapes and profiles. They have cutting edges along the outside diameter and flutes that remove chips from the cutting area and allow cooling fluids to enter. If heat is not reduced effectively, the tool s cutting edges will dull and additional material buildup can occur. The number of flutes can range from two to eight. Two-flute designs offer the most efficient chip removal, but more flutes provide a smoother finish. The shank is the end of the tool held in place by a tool holder or machine. Center-cutting end mills can create three-dimensional shapes and profiles, and make plunge cuts similar to a drill bit. Non-center-cutting end mills are for applications such as peripheral milling and finishing, but cannot make plunge cuts.
Niagara Cutter has been designing and manufacturing precision cutting tools since 1954. Specializing in end mills, cutting mills, and saws, the company is based in New York and manufactures its tools at facilities in Pennsylvania and Massachusetts. This allows the company control over production, from substrate to coating, which is essential for customers in a variety of industries, especially aerospace and automotive.
- Niagara Cutter
May We Also Suggest
How BLINQ Works
- Retailer needs to move overstock, open box & refurbished inventory.
- BLINQ receives inventory and professionally inspects each item.
- Condition is determined, with only the best items passing inspection.
- Item is heavily discounted on BLINQ.com to sell quickly.